Saturday, February 12, 2011

All I Know Is

Writer's block can be an ugly thing. So I headed over to this website to get some ideas. I went through several thousand writing suggestions until this one stood out:

I miss the friends we used to be.

"The truth is that there are a lot of people like you, us, with strange hobbies or talents or gifts and we try to hide it because we’re afraid that it makes us seem weird or it will turn people off, but that’s a mistake. What makes me unique has brought every person I love into my life."
-Pushing Daisies

There's been so many times I wondered why you came into my life for everything just to end the way it did.

I miss finger painting and road trips. I miss running through the sprinklers and eating pepperoncinis. I miss making friendship bracelets and taking pictures. I miss building forts out of sheets, sneaking baby ducks into dorm rooms, and riding the wrong way down one-way streets. I miss your terrible driving. I miss brownie-batter blizzards. I miss jumping into water fountains with you. I miss jumping on your roommates bed. I miss everything.

We didn't understand the value of true friendship. We took that for granted.

Now that we've moved on and made new friends, found new interests, and are moving to different corners of the country, I will still look upon those years as some of the best years of my life. Even though it ended badly, the only thing I regret is being unable to work through our problems.

Over a year later, I think I've finally found my answer to why you came into my life. You showed me how fun life could be. You showed me what true friendship is. You proved to me that there was someone out there that understood me.

I will never find another friend like you. Even though my heart aches for those days, you let me know it was okay to be myself. I only hope I did the same for you.

I miss the friends we used to be. I miss the friends that we'll never have the chance to be again.


1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet. Never say never. Friends will come back in your life at moments you least expect them to, but the moments you most NEED them to. Or vice versa. Never give up.

    ReplyDelete